Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Power of Positive Thinking

Today I ran 10 miles! Yay me! I really had a hard time getting motivated today because I have kind of skimped on my training this week... oops! In my defense there were a lot of "last week" activities going on at school and after school! But basically I only ran 3 miles this week and weight lifted once. Oh well, that's life! But what has really helped get me through the miles is a book I am reading called The Non-runner's Marathon Trainer I decided to read up after hearing Mike (my sister's boyfriend) talking about the books he was reading to prepare for the big day. I have to say this book has been a great motivator! Along with great tips from people who went from couch to marathon, the authors focus on the power of visualization and positive thinking. During my half marathon training I kept finding it harder and harder to increase my mileage. Now I understand why: I was looking at everything negatively. "Oh crap I have to do 10 miles today!" is what I would think to myself all day before reluctantly going out to run. And the run sucked every time... so did my time! Now I tell myself to look forward to my runs. During the runs I keep reminding myself how strong I am and how much stronger I am going to become! It has really helped! I even ran 7 miles today without my music! I NEVER thought I could run without my music, but it was great and the miles just melted away! 

1 comment:

  1. wow, kel -- great job! but really, you couldnt have learned to run w/o music during our half marathon...when I ran 5 miles w/o it and wanted nothing more than to talk to you!

    ReplyDelete